Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Crock Pot gift keeps on giving


So the crock pot gift kept on giving during the snow break. I attempted (for the first time) to make pinto beans from the dry pack. Wow-that is very difficult and takes a LONG time and a LOT of steps to make them taste worth anything. The crock did a good job in spite of me. I used a ham bone from the freezer that I had saved from Christmas and added spices... Those beans fed us that day, then were carried to Georgia to a family get-together, then split out to give a cup to my grandmother in the nursing home, then hand-blended and mixed with a can of refried beans for our Mexican-themed dinner tonight. Nice. I feel old-fashioned by making that one pack of beans stretch so far and feed so many. Tomorrow is church supper, so I need to plan for Thursday night now. Isn't cooking fun? It never NEVER ends.

No comments: