Monday, January 3, 2011

The Year of Soup

So after the move and the remodeling, our bank account is empty and our waistlines are a bit thicker. I've been working on that last part since September and have made some good progress, but there is "room for improvement" in this department. The running joke this Christmas is that our family will be staying home in 2011 and eating soup to recover economically from our much-desired renovations in our lives and our new home. So-I hope to post our progress through the Year of Soup.

First up-our new crock pot (thank you Johnny and Vivian) was initiated today with Beef Stew. A recipe out of the Fix It and Forget it cookbook, it was quite good. It went over well with everyone with Ellie being the exception. What is her deal? She doesn't like a lot of ingredients obviously mixed together... If she only knew what was in those hot dogs she desires... She ate the meat out of it and some saltines. Yeah. She wouldn't even try a potato with the promise of a cupcake and a piece of Hershey's Bliss chocolate. Her loss. Tyler tore it up and so did we. Leftovers are neatly packed in a bag for Mark for lunch and a dish for me at home. About 2 cups left went in the freezer, labeled. I intend on this year being a more successful year at my husband carrying his lunch and saving that eating out money. I feel like that guy on the commercial at the ballpark quoting stats.

Tomorrow-chili. Very creative. I know. I am warming up to this concept and have to get up the nerve to try new things...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great plan to try. I have a couple of killer good soups if you are interested. White Chili and Super Soup. This weather is perfect for soup and it's also easier on the budget. I think we are doing soup or beans and rice this year. LOL

Jeremy and Johnna said...

So glad you are going to blog, Carla. I really enjoy keeping up with friends even if it is just kinda through spying on their blog. Love you all.

Amanda Sanford said...

Welcome back to blogspot! So happy to have you back! I have a few yummy soup recipes that I will share on fb soon!

MomofBBGTriplets said...

Hi Carla, I will look forward to your posts. We miss seeing you guys!
Elisa McDaniel and family

the Darling Durhams said...

Thanks guys! Any good recipes are welcome. It is kind of exciting to blog this year. My ramblings are kind of random sometimes (well, most of the time) but that is just me being me. I saw a photographer make a book out of her blogs and I'd like to do that at the end of the year. I have to figure out where she got it though. Some site uploaded the info and just made it into a book. Really cool. But, yes-please send recipes.