Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow and the refrigerator


Sunday night the snow really fell hard. By Monday morning, we had between 6 and 9 inches, depending on where you stood in the yard. I had prepared taco soup for Sunday afternoon, but decided to hold on to it due to the pending weather and the possibility of being snowed in at home. Good call. As I write, today-Wednesday, this is day 3 of school being out and eating up all of the things I had previously prepared. Mark went off to work today, but that upsets me because of the risk of his safety on the roads. Men think they are invincible... Back to what I was saying before my fears so rudely interrupted my train of thought-I wish I had stock in the grocery store due to the sheer amount of food this family of 4 has consumed. The recycling company is hitting the jack pot at our house today (if they come). My staying at home and cooking has increased my donations to them. Yep-we donate to that service. They provide a bin and come pick it up and we DONATE to them and THEY make money on our cans of soup that we are forced to eat due to the economy. Crazy. I think this rambling is due to cabin fever. Maybe we can find something to do today. I already made homemade pumpkin bread, chocolate chip cookies, sausage balls, and snow creme. The bread was made with our halloween pumpkins that I roasted and pureed. Pretty cool-I felt like the cheapest family in America from the Today show that uses their pumpkins to cook too. "Thrifty" I'd say. I have also been a short-order cook to please the never-ending appetites of my little eaters. Wow! Staying home is a lot of work. I'm ready to go back to work. Tonight's menu: center-slice pan fried ham, biscuits, pinto beans (from the crock pot that I started last night from dry beans), mac & cheese. Yum!

No comments: